Wednesday, March 6, 2013

file this under "Things I never wish I knew"

Castoreum is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver.  Yes, that is exactly what you think it is, no need to run for the dictionary.  Why am I telling you about castoreum?  To share the pain.  You see, it is used as both a perfume additive (color me not surprised) and (gag) a food additive.  All those "natural flavorings," particularly strawberry, raspberry, and vanilla?  Yeah.  I'm not going to spell it out for you.  Those freaks over at the FDA, clearly having spent a few too many conferences whoopin' it up in Denver, shooting back Rocky Mountain Oysters and beer, deemed it "safe for consumption."

I'd like to blame the Scandinavians for this particular one.  After all, they came up with Bäverhojt and Bäversnaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment